Monday 31 October 2011

Snipping Tool for Ubuntu

Just a few days ago while I was writing a Tutorial to add images in Eclipse, I felt the need for capturing a specific portion of my screen to add along with the tutorial.
But unfortunately I wasn't on the Windows 7 platform and thus did not have an option of using Snipping Tool, instead I was working on Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). After searching the internet for a while, I stumbled upon an app which did exactly what I was looking for named Shutter.
Its a great replacement for Windows based snipping tool as it not only allows us to capture specific segments of our screen, but also provides a built-in editor and uploading function which lets you instantly edit and share your snippets on the web.

To install this tool in Ubuntu 9.10(Karmic) and later :
  1. You can add a PPA to your system with a single line in your terminal. Open a terminal and enter:
  2. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:shutter/ppa 
  3. Now you should tell your system to pull down the latest list of software from each archive it knows about, including the PPA you just added:
  4. sudo apt-get update
  5. Install Shutter
  6. sudo apt-get install shutter
    
    

If you want to install this tool on older (pre 9.10) Ubuntu Systems....Click here for a detailed step by step procedure.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment